Content copyright © Tramway Museum Society of Victoria Inc.  Reproduced with permission.


Home

Other Melbourne Trams















Ballarat Trams











Geelong Trams











Other Cities



Over time, the TMSV has also accumulated several electric trams that operated with the various Tramway Trusts and subsequently some operated with the M&MTB.  Over time some of these trams were either converted for other uses or sold to the State Electricity Commission of Victoria to operate on their Geelong, Ballarat or Bendigo systems.


The Victorian Railways operated two trams lines from St Kilda to Brighton Beach and from  Sandringham to Black Rock.  Most of the trams that operated on their network were built at the Newport Railway Workshops.  Two examples of the VR trams are currently housed at the Tramway Heritage Centre.


With the modernization of the Glenelg line in Adelaide.  A number of H Class trams were no longer required for use.  Various groups and individuals were able to apply to purchase that trams for possible use or for preservation.  H373 was obtained through this process thanks to Life Member, Andrew Hall.


Hawthorn No. 8

In Service: 1916 as M Class No. 8 (HTT)

Withdrawn: 1956 (SECV)

Preserved: 1963 TMSV (On loan to the Hawthorn Tram Museum)


This tram was built for the Hawthorn Tramways Trust by Duncan & Fraser of Adelaide. It was taken over by the M&MTB in 1920, and renumbered 114. In 1930, this car, along with several others, was sold to ESV for service in Bendigo, where it became No 3. The SECV took over ownership of the Bendigo tramways in 1931. It was never modified for use as a one-man car, and was removed from service in 1956. In 1992, it was placed on a 25 year loan to the Victorian State Government, who restored it back to near original condition as Hawthorn No 8.




Prahran & Malvern No. 46

In Service: 1912 (PMTT)

Withdrawn: 1929

Preserved: THC Bylands


This was one of two tramcars built to this design for the PMTT in 1912 by Duncan & Fraser. Originally number 36, shortly after delivery it was renumbered to 46, its old number being taken by the first of the E class maximum traction tramcars. It was unusual in that it was a centre aisle crossbench summer tramcar. In late 1923, it was rebuilt as a closed combination car. It was removed from service in 1929 and the body sold. The body of this tramcar was recovered from a house in Mentone in 1982.



Victorian Railways No. 34

In Service: 1918 (VR)

Withdrawn: 1959 (VR)

Preserved: 1959 THC Bylands


This tram was built by VR's Newport Workshops for the St Kilda to Brighton Beach line, part of an order for 20 broad gauge trams, that was later reduced to 16 due to low patronage. Another four were built for the standard gauge Sandringham to Black Rock and Beaumaris line. They were the first four motor drop centre tramcars built for service in Australia, setting the trend for Melbourne tram design until 1956. This tram was partly modified for use on the Black Rock line, but it remained in service on the Brighton Beach line until closure in 1959.




Victorian Railways No. 52

In Service: 1942 (VR)

Withdrawn: 1975 (MMTB)

Preserved: 1982 THC Bylands


This tramcar was one of three built at VR's Newport Workshops for the broad gauge Brighton Beach line in 1941, as part of a rehabilitation program. Many electrical components were parts acquired for the cancelled four drop centre cars of the same type as No 34. The design was based on the M&MTB SW6's then under construction, but they were shorter, had narrower sliding doors and two piece driver's windscreens. On closure of the Brighton Beach line, this tramcar and its sister cars, were sold to the M&MTB. The M&MTB fitted standard gauge trucks and it entered service in 1959.



Ballarat No. 17

In Service: 1915 (PMTT)

Withdrawn: 1971 (SECV)

Preserved: 1971 THC Bylands


This tram was built in 1915 by the Meadowbank Manufacturing Company of NSW for the PMTT. It was one 20 J class single truck drop end open California combination tramcars, and held No 73. It was taken over by the M&MTB in 1920, and acquired by the SECV in 1931, for service in Ballarat, where it became No 29. It was renumbered No 17 in 1935 when Geelong No 29 was transferred to Ballarat. On delivery to Ballarat it was modified to one man condition, and underwent further modification to make it more suitable for one man use between 1935-7.



Ballarat No. 23

Scrubber Car

In Service: 1913 (ESV)

Withdrawn: 1971 (SECV)

Preserved: 1971 THC Bylands


This is the only tram still in existence that was built new for the Ballarat tram system, all other Ballarat trams currently in preservation, having been bought second hand for that system. It was built in 1913 by Duncan & Fraser as a single truck straight sill closed cross bench tramcar, one of 3 built for the ESV Ballarat system. They were convertible between summer and winter use, the centre seats being removed in winter to provide an aisle. In 1934 it was withdrawn from passenger service and converted to a scrubber tramcar, in which capacity it remained in service until closure in 1971.




Ballarat No. 36

In Service: 1917-8 (HTT)

Withdrawn: 1971 (SECV)

Preserved: 1971 THC Bylands


This tram was originally P class 26, one of eight P's built for the HTT by Duncan & Fraser in 1917-8. It's a maximum traction bogie drop end drop centre combination. When the M&MTB took over HTT in 1920 it was renumbered 132. These tram were built with full width seats in the drop centre, but had a centre aisle cut through them in 1924-6. In 1945 this car was sold to the SECV for service in Ballarat, where it was renumbered 15 and had four seats in the drop centre removed, to accommodate prams and shopping carts. It was renumbered again in 1953, to 36.




Geelong No. 9

In Service: 1915 (MESCo)

Withdrawn: 1956 (SECV)

Preserved: 1982 THC Bylands


This tramcar was built by Duncan & Fraser in 1915 as part of the second order of three of the Geelong Butterbox class, which totalled 10. These cars were a single truck straight sill open combination tramcar, and formed a major part of the Geelong fleet for the entirety of the system's existence. Originally operated as a two man tramcar, after the takeover of MESCo by the SECV it was modified for use as a one man tramcar in 1932. It was originally built with 26" wheels, but was later modified to use 33" wheels.




Geelong No. 22

In Service: 1924-5 (MESCo)

Withdrawn: 1956 (SECV)

Preserved: 1969 THC Bylands


This tram is one of 8 that was ordered by MESCo from Pengelley & Co of Adelaide for service in Geelong in 1924-5, in the form of a straight sill closed combination car with Brill Radiax trucks. These were the largest and heaviest single truck passenger trams built in Australia, and the last new cars built for service in Geelong. It was one of the four Pengelley trams not modified for one man use, remaining in two man configuration for its entire life. It was taken over along with the Geelong system by the SECV in 1930, and remained in service until the systems closure in 1956.



Geelong No. 40

In Service: 1914 (PMTT)

Withdrawn: 1971 (SECV)

Preserved: 1980's THC Bylands


This tramcar was constructed in 1914 by Duncan & Fraser for the PMTT as E Class No 40. It's a typical drop centre drop end maximum traction tramcar of the era. It was taken over by the M&MTB in 1920, retaining its number. It was sold to the SECV in 1951 for use in Geelong and renumbered No 40. The Geelong system closed in 1956 and the SECV transferred if to Ballarat where it became No 43. Whilst in Ballarat four seats were removed from the drop centre, to accommodate prams and shopping carts. This tram was the last tram acquired for service in Geelong, and had the highest fleet number of any tramcar in both Geelong and Ballarat.




Adelaide H Class No.373

In Service: 1929

Withdrawn: 2006 (TransAdelaide)

Preserved: 2006 THC Bylands


Built in 1929 by Pengelley & Co of Adelaide for the Municipal Tramways Trust, Adelaide. These trams had many characteristics of American Interurban cars of the era, and were introduced for exclusive service on the Glenelg line. They were often operated coupled into pairs in peak periods. In latter years they were also used on the other suburban tram routes, until the closure of the main Adelaide tramway system in 1958. The full fleet of 30 were retained for operation on the Glenelg line after 1958. Over the years the fleet had been reduced to 21 cars, and in 2004 the South Australian Goverment approved the purchase of 11 new modern Light-rail vehicle. Five 5 H class trams have been retained for Adelaide system.