Content copyright © Tramway Museum Society of Victoria Inc.  Reproduced with permission.


Home



Q Class 199


Single-truck straight-sill, closed combination car

In Service: 1923 (MMTB), 1959 Converted to Wheel Transport Car No.16 later 16W (MMTB)

Withdrawn:

Preserved: THC Bylands


This tram was built as Q class No 199 in 1923. Its history was very similar to that of its sister car Q 198 (now 15 W), up until its withdrawal in 1957. In 1959 it was converted for use as a special duty freight cat which involved removal of sides and seats from the end compartments, later being renumbered as No 16.


This car ran as a decorated Father Christmas tram for the Myer Emporium between 1959 and 1963 during the pre-Christmas period. It was notable for being the last M&MTB car in service to retain manual lap brakes, and for that reason was used for driver training of Ballarat Tramway Preservation Society volunteers In St George's Road, Northcote. From time to time it was also used as a breakdown car.


In 1986 it was withdrawn from service and purchased by the TMSV. It is currently undergoing restoration back to an original 1920's condition, with chocolate and cream livery.




U Class 205


Single truck saloon car

In Service: 1906 No. 4 (NMETL), 1922 renumbered as U Class No. 205 (MMTB). 1939 Converted to Advertising Car No. 19, subsequently converted to Freight Car in 1950, and renumbered in 1976 as 19W.

Withdrawn: 1978

Preserved: THC  Bylands


U class No 205 was originally imported in 1906 by the North Melbourne Electric Tramway & Lighting Company (NMETL), as No 4. It was constructed by J.G. Brill of Philadelphia as a reasonably standard single truck saloon tramcar.


Produced without a windshield, it was modified later by the NMETL, to include a windshield, semi enclosing the cab, and protecting the driver from the elements a little more. It served the NMETL until 1922, when the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramway Board (M&MTB) acquired the NMETL (the last tramway company to be absorbed into the M&MTB) and all their tramcars. All NMETL trams had 201 added to their No, and were re-classed by the M&MTB, with No 4 becoming U class No 205.


The M&MTB made several modifications over the years, amongst the first were the inclusion of standard destination boxes, a rebuilt cab and a standard M&MTB livery. It later had doors installed replacing the gates it had during the NMETL years, as well as minor changes. U 205 served as a passenger car until 1939, when it was converted into advertising car No 19 for use as a decorated or illuminated tramcar. In 1950 it had all internal passenger fittings removed and was converted to a freight car. To avoid confusion with the introduced Z class it was renumbered in 1976 - along with all works trams - having a W added to the end of its number, becoming 19W.


It was withdrawn in 1978, and acquired by the Society in 1986, along with toastrack tram NMETL No 13 (M&MTB V 214) in the government's Heritage Fleet, U 205 is the oldest Melbourne electric tramcar in existence.


It is currently being restored back to it's mid 1920's condition, including it's M&MTB cabs and destination boxes, and being painted into the classic “chocolate and cream” livery. It is anticipated that at some later date we will undertake the full conversion to NMETL No 4, in a condition as close as possible to when it entered service. This conversion will include the removal of the destination box, restoring the roof to a curve, the removal of its M&MTB cabs, with reproduced NMETL cabs taking their place, removing the windshield's and painting it into an original livery, which is thought to be burgundy and cream.


From when the TMSV was formed, the Society has been involved with various restoration projects on a number of their trams and buses in their collection.  


Currently the TMSV has a number of unfinished projects.  At this stage, all those projects are currently placed on hold until the Tramway Heritage Centre is able regain accreditation to operate trams.

OUR COLLECTION Restoration Projects